Luxury plantain has the following benefits
- have very reliable sources of starch and energy.
- contain a high amount of dietary fibre which helps ensure healthy bowels and reduces constipation.
- have more vitamin C than bananas. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin-C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen- free radicals
- have more vitamin A than bananas. In addition to being a powerful antioxidant, vitamin A plays a vital role in the visual cycle, maintaining healthy mucous membranes, and enhancing skin complexion.
- As in bananas, they too are rich sources of B-complex vitamins, particularly high in vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine). Pyridoxine is an important B-complex vitamin in plantains that has a beneficial role in the treatment of neuritis, anaemia, and to decrease homocysteine (one of the causative factors for coronary artery disease (CHD) and stroke episodes) levels in the body.
- contain folates, niacin, riboflavin and thiamin. Folates (folic acid) are essential for healthy pregnancy.
- provide adequate levels of minerals such as iron, magnesium, and phosphorous. Magnesium is essential for bone strengthening and has a cardiac-protective role as well.
- have more potassium than bananas. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure, countering negative effects of sodium.
- are famed to be diuretic and can help prevent kidney and bladder problems
- ease the discomfort associated with the menstrual period.
For more information click here